On November 3, 2015, all Virginia legislators come up for election, including the 20th, 24th, and 25th House Districts and the 24th Senatorial District. In November 2016, the 6th Congressional District Representative for the U.S. House of Representatives will be up for election.
The SDC needs to identify and support Democratic challengers for these office as early as possible. This requires publicity, voter contact, volunteers for telephone banking and canvassing door-to-door, financial support, and organizing fundraisers, among other activities. Members and supporters unable to participate directly can help by voting, urging their friends to vote, and by strengthening the SDC throughout the year with donations, suggestions, and volunteer work.
The SDC takes an interest in can dates for local offices, such as City Council, School Board, Commonwealth Officers, and those others who uphold Democratic principles, though the SDC does not normally endorse a candidate in a nonpartisan election.
Member advice and support is important for fulfilling our objectives. If you have suggestions, please come to our monthly meeting, which is open to the public. These meetings also provide current, political news for the locality and the state.
SDC Scheduled Activities for 2015
Committees–both established and ad hoc–carry out SDC sponsored activities. To see a list of SDC committees, click here.
- June 9, 2015 – deadline for reporting a 20th District candidate.
- July 4, 2015 – Staunton July 4th parade and/or booth at Gypsy Hill Park.
- August 4 – 8, 2015 – Augusta County Fair, joint booth with the Augusta County Democratic Committee.
- September 20 – 21, 2015 – Staunton African American Festival, joint booth with the Augusta County Democratic Committee.
- October 2015 – SDC Nominating Committee for December Reorganization meeting.
- November 3, 2015 – state-wide elections.
- December 2015 – SDC reorganization meeting for new officers in 2016; target for announcing a 6th District Democratic Candidate.