SAW Kai Degner Report
Hi Staunton, Augusta County and Waynesboro (SAW) Friends of Kai Degner for Congress,
Here’s the second edition report. Please send me corrections, additions or other commentary and please share the news throughout your networks of friends and colleagues who may be interested in contributing to our efforts.
The Week Ahead
Kai’s focus in the near term is FUNDRAISING! While the campaign has done well in its first few weeks, we really need to raise bigger money faster to be able to move forward with all the activities and events necessary to win this election. Consider reaching out far and wide for donations and the sooner the better. In addition to raising money, the coming week will include a visit to the Augusta County Fair (see below.)
SAW Events Scheduled or in Process
Augusta County Fair (Aug. 2-6, Contact: Julie Scofield at Jscofield08@gmail.com)
The response has been very good for volunteers covering the Augusta County Democrats’ booth at the Fair. If anyone is still interested, there are times on Friday and Saturday that could still use some volunteers. And, it would be great to have Kai Degner for Congress volunteers there as much as possible. Kai will be at the Fair on Friday and/or Saturday to walk around and talk with people. I’ll let you know when his time is confirmed so you can come on down and say hello or walk about showing support for the campaign.
Hands Across our Land (Aug. 18, Contact: Jennifer Lewis)
This is a confirmed event for Kai the evening of August 18th.
“Get to Know Kai Degner” event with SAW Dems and Valley Grassroots (Contact: Julie Scofield)
We are still looking for dates and venues for this event. Stay tuned.
Staunton Fundraiser featuring the Judy Chops (Sept. 2, Contact: Nick Walge)
David Bottenfield, Staunton Democratic Committee Chair has offered his property on West Beverley for the event (the former AVA Restaurant and Wine Bar.) We are working out the details but stay tuned for the announcement of this event. Many thanks to Nick Walge for taking the lead in getting this together.
Founding Principles Summit in Staunton “Preserving America the
Beautiful” (Oct. 1, Contact Julie Scofield or Lori McMillan)
We are still scouting locations but are making some progress in finding a venue for this event. Continue spreading the word.
SAW Area Chapter Next Steps
What can you do, you ask? Here’s a list for your consideration:
- Donate to the campaign and solicit friends and colleagues inside and outside the district to do the same.
- Suggest ideas for fundraisers and explore options in order to pitch an idea. (My crazy idea of the day is having a district-wide day of yard sales for the campaign accompanied by the optics of our campaign raising money from yard sales while our opponent raises money from big corporate donors and PACs outside our district. No idea is unworthy of consideration!)
- Write “Letters to the Editor” to your local paper. Google Bob Goodlatte’s voting record, pick an issue and write a letter. If you need tips or info about how to do this, let us know!
- Consider doing outreach for the campaign and suggesting ways to organize and reach out to specific groups of people and organizations. We particularly need outreach to small business owners, educators, health care professionals and farmers.
- Think about endorsements. We are all members of national, state and local organizations. Research their processes for gaining an endorsement and let us know the details. In process are the AFL-CIO, NOW and Sierra Club. Who’s next?
- Register and share information about the Founding Principles Summit Series. Information is available at: KaiforCongress.com
- Ask the DNC and VADems what they are doing to help the Kai Degner for Congress We need to get on their radar ASAP and you can help!
Position statements and yard signs are coming!
SAW Area Chapter
Kai Degner for Congress Campaign